Where to find budget: Nutrition
One of the new things to come out in recent years is the subscription box. Basically it is a small box of sample items that arrive on your doorstep once a month for a nominal fee. There are boxes for health foods, boxes for make-up, boxes for pets and yes, even boxes for us runners. examples of these services include Stridebox.com ($15/mo.) and Runnerbox.com ($10/mo.). These subscriptions include items like energy gel, sports drinks, coupons, gear, nutrition bars etc..
I did join Stridebox last month and received my first box early in April. I can’t really compare it to the contents of a Runnerbox, but for the sake of argument, I would think it is similar. Items in my Stridebox included the following.
- Clif Bar Energy Bar – Mini Chocolate Brownie
- Clif Shot Blocks – Mountain Berry
- Hammer Nutrition Vegan Recovery Bar
- Hammer Lips – WinterMint lip balm
- Nuun Hydration Tabs – Cherry Limeade and Lemonade
- Barnana Chewy Banana Bites
- Action Wipes – Full Body Wet Wipes
- A cuff that lights up that you can put around your ankle or wrist.
I would estimate that it was around $30.00 in items and quite honestly, I will use every one of them. It’s a great way to stock up your cabinets for running at a very low cost. Plus you can try things that you might not normally. Hopefully the May box will be even better.