Adventures of a fundraiser noob
So I decided I wanted to try my hand at combining my new found love of running with another cause that is near a dear to me: Pet adoption, prevention of cruelty to animals and pet health. There are many causes out there and I wish I could give something to all of them but I am starting with helping critters. I feel some people think of animals as disposable where as I think they are a huge part of the symbiotic nature between people and our own earth. They can help save lives, bring joy to lives of the young and the elderly, and are part of our families. People should be wardens of those who cannot always help themselves and I believe that includes animals. I have chosen to run for Team ASPCA in support of the ASPCA as they encompass the values that align with mine on this.
I have never participated in fundraising other than giving monetarily to various causes. I am kind of a blank slate at this point but am learning new strategies every day.
Here are ideas I am working on now. Some are in the works and other I am just mulling over.
- Use social media to spread the word. Predominately interacting on Facebook and Twitter.
- Email friends and family.
- Email sports companies, mainly running gear suppliers.
- Planning a rafflecopter raffle of a prize pack of some sort.
- Perhaps having a virtual run via #Anywhere5k using donated items as prizes.
- Asking a company to sponsor a twitter chat to raise funds and awareness.
Has anyone else gone through this recently? Any tips would be appreciated.